If you are separating or have separated and you are newly arrived in Australia and/or do not have permanent residency, you may need to consider your immigration status and seek support with this.

Department of Immigration and Citizenship
The Family Violence Provisions (FVP) of Australia’s migration program enables some women applying for permanent residence in Australia to continue with their application after the breakdown of their married or de facto relationship, if they or a member of their family unit have experienced family violence by their partner.  To find out more, see their fact sheet. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship offers many of its resources translated into other languages

Legal Services Commission – Migration Section
May be able to provide you with advice and representation in relation to your immigration status and applying for permanent residency. To book an appointment ring 8111 5555. The Commission will provide interpreters for those clients who require them. Please let them know when booking an appointment if you require an interpreter.

Australian Refugee Association
Provide support to migrants and refugees.

Red Cross – Migration Support
May be able to provide income support for women who have applied for a protection visa and are ineligible for Centrelink income support.