Child Support

If you have separated and have children in your care, you may be entitled to claim Child Support.  You can apply for this through the Child Support Agency 13 12 72.

If you are receiving Family Tax Benefits from Centrelink, you have 13 weeks to apply for Child Support (this is known as the Maintenance Action Test).  If you do not do this within this timeframe your Family Tax Benefits may be reduced.  However, if you are fearful of applying for Child Support due to your ex-partner’s reaction and risk to your  safety, you can apply for an exemption by contacting a Centrelink Social Worker 13 17 94.

Services to assist you in dealing with Child Support

Legal Services Commission Child Support Unit 8463 3576 or 1300 366 424 for country callers

Community Legal Centres in particular the Child Support Service run by Southern Community Justice Centre.

Speak another language?
Some of the Child Support Agency’s publications have been translated into other languages.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women
Visit the Child Support Agency’s Indigenous Parents webpage.